Sunday, September 9, 2018

First Week of School!

We had a wonderful and busy first week all together! We continued to explore our classroom and school as well as make new friends. We learned how to spell the color word 'red', worked on drawing a person, I shared my treasure box with the class and students made a book for me. I celebrated my birthday with the kids and got to visit with some of you at Open House as well. We also worked on some fun name activities in Literacy Lab! Take a look below for more details on our awesome week!

Here is how our bulletin board in the hallway turned out, it looks awesome!
I also tied your ribbons from screening onto a loom to make a chandelier. I hung it up in our classroom and it looks beautiful!
The students enjoyed exploring our playground and learning how to use the various areas. 

Music Wall
Loose Parts Area
Climber
Slides
 We have been working on how to spell the color word 'Red' and learned a song to help. 
Ask your child to sing the song to you!
 We have read lots of awesome books this week and here are just a few of them! 
We have also been practicing how to draw a person. Using the appropriate colors, remembering all the body parts, drawing a ground, and taking our time to do quality work. 
 I shared my treasure box with the students Wednesday and the students got to learn more about me.
Then they drew a picture of me doing something that I talked about.
I made them into a book for me to keep. 
After each child shares their treasure block, they will receive a book like this too!
 My mom came to school for my birthday to bring me balloons, flowers and a cupcake. 
The students and her sang Happy Birthday to me too!
 Open House was Wednesday night and I set up something people could come and do at their own pace since it was so hot! I had various stations to visit such as sign in, a scavenger hunt around the room, taking a magnet with my contact information, and taking some handouts.
 When students finished the scavenger hunt, they got to pick a treasure from the treasure box!
Thank you to everyone who was able to come out for the Open House, even with the heat!
 We also spent some time exploring different materials in our classroom such as tree cookies, seashells, magnets, etc. and how to treat them.
Then we learned about the various areas in our classroom in order to get ready for our "I Wonder Stations". Below they are exploring in the engineering area. 
Library
 Science Area
 Home Living
Every day we will be going to Literacy Lab to see Mrs. Ball and working on various literacy activities. This week the students worked on drawing a self portrait and Mrs. Ball made those pictures into our own "Brown Bear Brown Bear" book. She read it to the class and the students enjoyed listening for their name. 
We also worked on some name activities. Mrs. Ball wrote the students names on a piece of paper and they used Q-tips and paint to dot their name.
 Then they glued fruit loops on their name. We worked on not using too much glue! They enjoyed these activities in Literacy Lab very much! Next week we will begin to learn about iReady and how to use it.
Thanks for stopping by to see what we have been up to. 
Stop back next week to see what we are up to next! 

Wednesday is QPT day and we do not have school!
I hope to see you all at the Ice Cream Social & Homecoming Parade on Thursday!
Have a great week!
Mrs. Brittany Garrabrant

1 comment: